IR and VB.NET

This is the English forum for all topics related to IO-Warrior. Please post in English only

Moderator: Guido Körber

phoenix

IR and VB.NET

Post by phoenix »

Are there any examples of using the RC5 interface with VB.NET

thanks

Phoenix
Robert Marquardt

Post by Robert Marquardt »

No, for the simple reason that i am not familiar enough with VB to create a smoothly working solution.
The IR data is an external event so you will need a thread permanently reading with IowKitRead. The timeout for IowKitRead needs to be set to allow the thread to unblock periodically and detect termination requests. After all you want to be able to close your program without sending IR or unplugging the IOWarrior.
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

Either I'm looking in the wrong places or information looks a little thin on the ground

Is there an algorithm available?

what kind of signal would I expect to get from the processor?

are there recommended RC5 transmitters?
Robert Marquardt

Post by Robert Marquardt »

Sometimes i am not on my best. A much simpler alternative is to use a timer and IowKitReadNonBlocking. See Windows\Samples\IR\Delphi\IR DLL for an example. ReadTimerTimer and DecodeRC5Data are the core parts of the program.

For IR transmitters best use a Multi remote. They can be configured for many TVs. Try configuring for Philips TVs until all buttons of the remote work.
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

Thanks, is there another set of documentation somewhere I can find no information on the non blocking read, what does it do... it may be what I've been looking for to solve another issue.

I've looked at the Delphi code and cant make head not tail of it.

the EXE in the IR DLL dir doesnt work I get an access violation message.

the EXE in the IR HID dir appears to work fine it detects the IOW OK, but I get no response when using a Phillips configuration on my Logitec Harmony remote, is there s specific TV that anyone is certain has an RC5 remote?

Im using a TSOP 1376 and the circuit diagram in the IOWarrior datasheet
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

OK, got it figured thanks
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

In any case, here is the suggested test method for the RC5 receiver:

First use SimpleHIDwrite to read in the simple I/O. This will give you any changes to the state of the pins. Don't activate the RC5 function. Press a button on the RC transmitter. If the hardware works you should now see a lot of reports coming in which are caused by the IR receiver picking up the signal.

This verifies that the reciever works and the transmitter generates some signal, whichever code it might be.

Now enable the RC5 function and check for the data that comes back from it. If pressing a button on the transmitter does not generate anything likely the transmitter is not using RC5.
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

Actually I would recommend using the already compiled application in Windows\Samples\IR\Delphi\IR HID, this worked fine.