IO Warrior Output

This is the English forum for all topics related to IO-Warrior. Please post in English only

Moderator: Guido Körber

gmiller

IO Warrior Output

Post by gmiller »

I have looked around the site and can't seem to find any specific information about the output capabilities of the I/O Warrior.

Does the device output simply 0 or 5v, or can you output a range of 0-5v, and if so what is the resolution?

Also, the North America distributor does not list the IO Warrior 56 in their product catalog. I am assuming I have to contact them directly to order this?

Thank you for your help in this.
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

The outputs are digital, not analog. So it is 0 or 1.

Our US sales rep does have the IOW56 in stock, just contact them.
gmiller

Post by gmiller »

Thank you for the response. I was afraid of that. I have done some searching and it seems there are some inexpensive frequency to voltage chips available (http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM2917.html). Can an input be commanded to pulse at a given frequency? If so, what is the range of frequencies supported?[/url]
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

It would help to know what you want to do, but it sounds like you are trying to take a much too complicated approach.

And no, the IO-Warrior does not have a frequency generator in it. All the available features are listed in the data sheet.
gmiller

Post by gmiller »

I have a small train set in my basement with 18 sections of track and 15 switches. I want to be able to control each section of track individually as well as switch each switch (3 states, straight, off and turned out) I have also though about using current sensors to determine the position of the locomotive. Also, is each pin capable of sensing an analog signal, or is the input also a 1 or 0?

It seems as though I would need two inputs for each switch and multiple for each section of track (depending on the resolution in train speed I want to achieve.) The track inputs will need to be run through a DAC to produce a voltage. This would mean I would need multiple IO warriors. Can multiple units be used on the same project?

Would this be the best way to proceed?

Thanks.
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

Again: The list of available features in the IO-Warrior data sheet is complete. There are no A/D or D/A converters in the chip.

To handle any analog signals via IO-Warrior you will need to connect the necessary functions externally. A good option to do so is via IIC or SPI. Either will allow you to connect multiple A/D or D/A converters to the IO-Warrior and there are chips that have multiple channels, so you don't necessarily need to use multiple IO-Warrior chips. Though if a single IO-Warrior is not sufficient you can use multiple IO-Warriors.