Encoder question!

This is the English forum for all topics related to IO-Warrior. Please post in English only

Moderator: Guido Körber

mhserrano

Encoder question!

Post by mhserrano »

:D Hi, good-afternoon,

I know that SpinWarrior chip is the most suitable for integrate encoders, but is it possible to use an Encoder, 2 bit, 4 pulses, with a IOwarrior chip, using 2 consecutive Inputs?

Thanks in advance :)
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

If you can live with losing impulses when it gets too fast or when other functions like IIC, LED matrix etc. interfere with the IO-Warrior timing, then yes.

The main difference between IO-Warrior and SpinWarrior is that the SpinWarrior is specialized for tracking encoder impulses and has a guaranteed timing. For IO-Warrior we can not gurantee a timing since it is beyond our control which functions are used in which combination and when.
mhserrano

Another Encoder problem!!

Post by mhserrano »

:roll: I Guido how are you, hope fine!!

Well i have the same problem, i need to have 4 encoders operating withs few switches and led´s at same time but i wanto to use th IOW40 starter kit but it seem´s impossible to use the SpinWarrior chip on it.

Muts i have to design a new circuit just to use the SpinWarrior?

Can you give me some ideas for this problem?

BTW, do you have some SDK to encoders?

Thanks in advance,

Marco Serrano
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

The SpinWarrior chips fit on the IOW24 starterkit board, but we do have no specific SpinWarrior starterkit, the only solution here would be to buy a IOW24KIT and the SpinWarrior chips.

In any case you need a USB connection for each chip, there can never be two devices on a single USB port, you need to insert a hub or use separate host ports.
mhserrano

Post by mhserrano »

Good night,

Ok i understand wat you say but:

1- SpinWarrior will work over IOW24 but with another USB output? How can i do that?

2- I still can use all other resources from the board, like LED matrix and button matrix?

Another questions:

1- IOW24 can drive the 8x8 switch/button matrix?

2- Starter kit are sold unassembled, right?

Thank you very much,

Good weekend

Marco Serrano
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

No, wrong. The SpinWarrior fits on the same pinout as the IOW24. You can put it onto a IOW24 starterkit PCB INSTEAD of the IOW24.

IOW24 does not support the button matrix. A 8x8 matrix requires 16 I/O pins, the IOW24 has a total of 16 I/O pins. Would not make much sense...
mhserrano

Post by mhserrano »

:wink:

Ok Guido, i understood!!

Maybe its much better idea to tell you the requirements for my project.

I need to drive 226 LED´s (including 7 segment displays), 6 Encoders and 53 Switches, everything working together. Wich IOW cards i need to buy from you?

These material are subject to End User Licence?

Bye

MS
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

Use a IOW40 plus a SW24R6. You will need two USB connections of course.