Named input/output pins

This is the English forum for all topics related to IO-Warrior. Please post in English only

Moderator: Guido Körber

dimaq

Named input/output pins

Post by dimaq »

Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to assign names to given io pins?

Say if I wire up an iow chip to a few pushbuttons and a led, I'd like to see words "power", "reset", "turbo" somewhere in usb stuff, so that some program that uses the device does not need to know exactly how those things are wired, instead it could use some standard software framework to find a "power" function and use it. The real need is that I want to make a many boards, some with some functions omitted (same pcb, some unpopulated), and I don't want to write software magic that guesses what is present and what is not.

My understanding is that it is generally possible to add strings to hid descriptor and then have them accessible through a hid library. What's the case with iowarrior? is any part of iowarrior's usb descriptors writeable by user/developer?

I'm guessing you can't allow much in iow24/40 due to the type of microcontroller it's implemented on, right? What about iow56?
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

This is not possible in any IO-Warrior. Actually I know of no device that allows this at all unless you write your own firmware.
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

You could give the pins names in your software if you use an enumerator, or write your own interfacing class