Switch For Outlet

This is the English forum for all topics related to IO-Warrior. Please post in English only

Moderator: Guido Körber

merchant

Switch For Outlet

Post by merchant »

I'm trying to create a device using the I-O Warrior 40 to switch on and off a wall outlet. I was looking at analog switches from maxim-ic.com but I can't figure out which one I need. Also, how much voltage can I get out of the wall outlet (American) anyway? I remember someone telling me 110V but I'm not sure. How much voltage is in a binary 1 from an IO Warrior's pin? Does it matter when selecting a switch?

EDIT:: I think I'm just going to make my own switch using MOSFETs if I can, but I need to know how much voltage is in the binary 1 output on a pin on the IOW40.
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

First of all this sounds like you are very unexperienced with mains power levels. Working with mains voltage can cause injury or death. You should not do this unless you are properly equipped and trained to do this.

The IO-Warrior does use 5V CMOS logic levels, this is in a totally different realm. If you do any work with mains power you have to make sure to have a galvanic isolation between the IO-Warrior and the power line. Any kind of transistor including MOSFETs is not fit for that isolation. You will have to use opto coupler or relays to get the signal from the IO-Warrior to the mains power domain.

Actually the simplest approach would be to use a relay and a suitable driver to enable the IO-Warrior to drive the relay.

But again: Do this only if you are properly equipped and trained to work with mains power. A mistake when working with mains power can be the last mistake you can ever make.