Is IO Warrior suitable for my purpose?

This is the English forum for all topics related to IO-Warrior. Please post in English only

Moderator: Guido Körber

xxbartosxx

Is IO Warrior suitable for my purpose?

Post by xxbartosxx »

Hi, I am new here, and also to the world of electronics! Well not realy, I can assemble and disassamble a pc blindfolded :d. So I have a little basic knowledge.
Ok here is what I want to: A external controller that works on linux with one big lcd(320x240 can be a coloured one, it don't need to be), 2x a Noritake vfd screen(from the 7000 series), potmeters potsliders buttons buttons with a little led in, and also a keyboard. All that has to be connected to the IOW40 or some other USB2 based controller board. Is this possible? And what would I need for that? Do I need some special add-on board for the keyboard? In this toppic: http://www.codemercs.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23 that if you scroll the pot fast the (usb)controller can not read everything? Is this been solved or is there a workaround for this?
Please some advice. If you need the datasheets of some of the components I wanne use, let me know. Then I can order a IOW40.
Oh a other thing is it possible to add a usb hub or make one myself?

thx Bart
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

IO-Warrior does have no support for graphics LCDs. The main reason for this is that the data rate on a low speed USB device is not sufficient for graphics.

I am not familiar with the Noritake displays, but if they use the same controller interface as the HD44780 then they would work, but only one per IO-Warrior.

You posting reads like you don't understand how these things work. If that is the case you have a very intense learning curve ahead of you.
xxbartosxx

Post by xxbartosxx »

Yeah I know I havce to learn alot :oops: But can't you suggest me a other board? Pls help me on this one!
Your probably right that I dont know how these these work, but the vfd screens from noritake have a serial/paralelle inerface so ONE of them would work, right. If I find the right board would the keywarrior be the thingy to connect a keyboard to the board. Or am I offtrack here?

grts Bart
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

off track...

You should learn to walk before you try to fly.

KeyWarrior is a keyboard controller, you connect it to the USB or other interface, it does not get connected to IO-Warrior or any other IO-Controller.
xxbartosxx

Post by xxbartosxx »

Hehehehe, I can't walk, sitting in a weelchair :twisted:

Can't you yust recommend me with a board to start off? I know I have to learn ALOT. But I will learn it on the way, I just want to be sure about the board becase I wouldn't get stuck in the middle, :-) and need to buy a new one.
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

Besides that we do not post references to competing products there simply is no such board as you are looking for. With enough searching you can probably find isolated solutions for one or more of the things you want to do but you will certainly find no single solution for all of the things.

IO-Warrior can do quite a few of the things you are looking for but it requires electronics and programming know how.
Robert Marquardt

Post by Robert Marquardt »

What is your reason to want ot have all these devices on a single board?
Each device should be separate.
The Noritakes are text/graphics displays for parallel port or RS232. I am not sure they fit in here.
xxbartosxx

Post by xxbartosxx »

I understand of the posting of references to competing products. So I wont ask anymore for a other board.

But at the technical point of robert, Each device separated so I would have a bunch of usb cabels to my pc, that can't be right, also I have seen already prepared modules with a big lcd and touchscreen. So I don't know why it wouldn't go with a usb controller.
But I think I have asked my question In the wrong forum.
Robert Marquardt

Post by Robert Marquardt »

Seperate devices does not mean they are in seperate boxes.
In USB speak it is called a compound device which is simply several devices and a USB hub in a single box.
You will also need an AC adapter because that many devices cannot be powered through USB.

What we want to tell you is that without much knowledge about USB and about electronics it is hopeless to try.
Off the sheldfproducts are unavailable because you want to lump together a strange set of devices which are conceptually seperated.
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

What Robert wants to say is that while all the functions you are looking for do exist, but not in a single device. Making such a device would require you to write the firmware and build the electronics all from scratch.