Wireless USB

This is the English forum for all topics related to IO-Warrior. Please post in English only

Moderator: Guido Körber

watts

Wireless USB

Post by watts »

Like many (it seems) here, I am about to build the project seen here: http://monitzer.com/iowarrior/ and I have ordered an IO Warrior to do it.

I don't like the idea of having a USB cable across my living room though, so I am thinking about a wireless version. A google for "wireless usb" provides a wealth of information, it's clear that the standards exist to do this. It looks like the standard is fairly young- there are not that many products available yet. It seems like I could just build the unit as is, and put a commercial wUSB dongle on the computer and the unit, (which is what I will try as soon as I get it working)

Has anyone messed with wUSB and IO Warrior yet, and if so, any advice?

cw
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

Bridging devices which take USB and translate it something else to translate it back to USB are violating the standard. We do not support any such things. If you try this and run into trouble it is your problem.

We are aware of the fact that there are many line extension and even wireless bridging devices around, but none of them even has a remote chance to meet the standard.

WirelessUSB as promoted be the USB IF is a standard by itself, it is not an add on to existing USB, it is in fact a separate wireless standard that uses much of the logic of USB which makes writing drivers and software for it easier.
watts

Wireless USB

Post by watts »

OK, so clearly it's unsuppported! As a test of the wireless version of the project entails first building the wired version, I'll try that first, and when I test the bridging I'll let everyone know.
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

Things that work are like the Keyspan USBserver. This is basically a USB host controller attached to the computer by a non typical connection. In case of the USBserver the connection is via Ethernet.

So there is no attempt to extend or tunnel the USB protocol, it is just a USB host controller that does not sit on the motherboard of the computer but externally. The manifacturer of such a unit needs to provide a driver for that host controller, but anything else does not know that the USB host controller is not right at the computer.