JoyWarrior24A10L as a complete circuit

This is the English forum for all topics related to JoyWarrior. Please post in English only

Moderator: Guido Körber

DeeMoNay

JoyWarrior24A10L as a complete circuit

Post by DeeMoNay »

Hello,

I've been using many of your JoyWarrior24A8-8 and -16's to much success, and I can report that they are very easy to use. I like the fact that it's complete and I can just install the circuit and wire it up. I would like to see this type of circuit for the JoyWarrior24A10L. I checked Saelig's web site and they don't list a ready to use solution like the JoyWarrior24A8-8/16. Is one available? Your datasheet leads me to believe one is, but I don't know where to buy it if this is the case.

Thank you,

Derek
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Re: JoyWarrior24A10L as a complete circuit

Post by Guido Körber »

No, there is a no ready to use module with the JW24AxxL.

What in the data sheet leads you to assume this?
DeeMoNay

Post by DeeMoNay »

Hi Guido,

It's this one here:

http://www.codemercs.com/uploads/tx_sbd ... eet_01.pdf

But since I posted my question, I revisited all the information that you offer. It seems I misled myself. Your site distinguishes between the individual integrated circuit availability and the complete module. When I referenced the schematic for the JoyWarrior24A10L, I presumed incorrectly that it was available as a complete module. Unfortunately, it's not.

I am designing a device that needs three analog inputs and need 10 bit resolution. The modules I use now, the JoyWarrior24 A8's are, as you know, only 8 bit. I'd like to be able to use a hall effect sensor with 10 bit resolution, and the 10L is the only one I could use. But since it's not available as a module, I'm out of luck.

Thank you,

Derek
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

A module for the JW24A10L/8L is one of the ideas we have been kicking around for some time now, though always something else has higher priority. We do have a sample board for the MW24H8, which is very similar, but that has also never been finished for a release. Maybe the module will be one of our next small projects.
DeeMoNay

Post by DeeMoNay »

Guido Körber wrote:A module for the JW24A10L/8L is one of the ideas we have been kicking around for some time now, though always something else has higher priority. We do have a sample board for the MW24H8, which is very similar, but that has also never been finished for a release. Maybe the module will be one of our next small projects.
Ok - so I have a professionally designed pc board for the JW24A10L coming to me within the next week or two. The man who did the board design is a real pro:

I have 10 of these boards inbound to me and I am preparing to build them. I am ordering the MAX1249 DAC, and I would like to know if this one is the correct one:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Max ... mMkT7t4%3d

I've checked this one against the Code Merc's schematic and all seems to line up properly, but I want to verify it to be safe. Also, the DAC allows for 4 analog/voltage inputs, yet the JW24A10L indicates three. Can this 4th channel be used?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Derek
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

No, the fourth channel can not be used since the data format for low speed USB does not allow that, there is a maximum of 8 bytes that limits the number of channels.

The placement of the parts does not look good. Schematics is just one thing, the PCB traces also have to be run in a proper way to get a functional circuit. If this is not done properly you end up with an unstable circuit or in case of the A/D converter with noise. You can mail the PCB picture to me so I can check this before you make the PCBs.
DeeMoNay

Post by DeeMoNay »

Guido Körber wrote:No, the fourth channel can not be used since the data format for low speed USB does not allow that, there is a maximum of 8 bytes that limits the number of channels.

The placement of the parts does not look good. Schematics is just one thing, the PCB traces also have to be run in a proper way to get a functional circuit. If this is not done properly you end up with an unstable circuit or in case of the A/D converter with noise. You can mail the PCB picture to me so I can check this before you make the PCBs.
Thank you, Guido. I sent you a PM with what I believe to be the correct files for examination.

Derek
DeeMoNay

Re: JoyWarrior24A10L as a complete circuit - it worked!

Post by DeeMoNay »

Hi Guido - here's a poor photo of the module I had designed. I just tested it and it works :)

It's a new thing for me, so I'm pretty proud of myself that I did it. I've since had circuit boards designed for the 32 as well.

d
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

Nice.

Did you check how much jitter you get? On a good design there should be only +/-1 digit.
DeeMoNay

Post by DeeMoNay »

Guido Körber wrote:Nice.

Did you check how much jitter you get? On a good design there should be only +/-1 digit.
Forgive my ignorance, but how do I check this?
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

Use some tool that displays the data from the joystick and have a look at how much it jitters when you don't move the axes. Try that at various positions of the pots. If the layout is optimal and the lines to the pot do not collect much noise you should see the value jumping just between two values.
DeeMoNay

Post by DeeMoNay »

Guido Körber wrote:Use some tool that displays the data from the joystick and have a look at how much it jitters when you don't move the axes. Try that at various positions of the pots. If the layout is optimal and the lines to the pot do not collect much noise you should see the value jumping just between two values.
I will do that soon and report back.

Another question: I am going to be assembling some JoyWarrior24GP32 modules soon and would like to know if it's mandatory to use diodes. You advised me recently that for the JW24A8-16 that diodes were not a requirement if only one button is pressed at a time. In the case of the GP32, the same use scenario will occur. Must diodes be used?

Thank you again!

d
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

The phantom keys in key matrixes are a physical effect, so it applys always.
DeeMoNay

Post by DeeMoNay »

Ok, so I've been busy:

Now all you need to do is get busy offering a PIC18F that I wrote in about, and I will buy as many as I can.

d
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

Looking good. You should replace the disc capacitors near the A/D with the small compact form though, the disc capacitors do have a microphon effect, converting sound and vibration into voltage. That effect is much smaller with the compact capacitors.