New Product ??'s

This is the English forum for all topics related to JoyWarrior. Please post in English only

Moderator: Guido Körber

stickMaker

New Product ??'s

Post by stickMaker »

8)
Hello Guido,
Remember me, a successful user of your product. Yes, I am still useing my homemade flight gear, powered by your products. You seem to have some new modules. IF I am reading correctly, you now have a 10 bit, 3 axis version of the JoyWarrior? A-8, A-16
Can I get these in the states yet?
Are they USB 2.0?
What is the F24 all about, what does the acceleration really do?
I have been doing on-line racing and I am wondering if the 10 bit version will improve my game performance. I seem to be always behind the curve a little and am looking to improve my race stats. A friend mentioned that USB 1.0 might be bottlenecking me, .................
I put togather a new puter and of course I would upgrade the contollers if it will improve my speed in game. Most racers are useing USB 2.0 controllers and I want to be competitive! Will these new modules help with this? :roll:
TY
Asus Striker Extreme mobo
E6400 Core 2 Duo cpu
eVGA 8800 GTX KO ACS vid card
800 Mhz Dominator Ram 2 gigs
WD 74 gig Raptor drive
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

USB 2.0 is one of the most misunderstood concepts in computer technology.

Yes, we are USB 2.0. That does not mean high speed, USB 2.0 is just the version of the spec.

Anyone doing a high speed joystick did seriously miss some things. Full speed (12MBit/sec) is already stupid as it just increases cost and gives no benefit.

The JoyWarrior chips transmit data 125 times a second. This is beyond the point where the hand-eye feedback loop detects latency.

JoyWarrior24F8 is an acceleration sensor.
stickMaker

12 Mb/s or 400 Mb/s ??

Post by stickMaker »

:lol:
Hi Guido,
OK, I think I understand your point. I'm still learning tho.
The original JoyWarrior mods were 8 bit and were USB 1.0 with a transfer rate of 12 Mb/s, yes?
Your new versions of the modules are 10 bit and are USB 2.0 with a transfer rate of 400 Mb/s, yes?
I understand about the hand-eye thing, I think. In flight sims online, we are just sending positional data to the net, and just getting positional data from the other players back. You are saying that the higher transfer rate is not really perceptable, to me as I play the game. What I want to find out is if by useing a 2.0 module, will I get a faster turn around of the data?
When I race people online I can be in the lead, but invariablely I am overtaken an passed. There seems to be a consistancy to this because it happens the same way everytime. I have low ping times and minimal hops to the servers, why can I not keep up? Assumeing I have the same plane settings as others, where am I different. If they have a USB 2 joystick, and I have a USB 1 or gameport joystick, is this why I could be falling behind. I understand this is a question beyond what this forumns about, but any illumination into this would be appreciated. I'd purchase the newer modules in a heart beat if it would make a difference, you are saying it does not really matter, yes? :roll:
ty 4 ur time
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

Sorry, wrong on everything.

USB2.0 is not equal to 480MBit/sec. USB2.0 ist just the latest version of the spec, USB2.0 devices may run at low (1.5M), full (12M), or high (480M) speed. USB 1.0/1.1 devices may run at low or full speed.

JoyWarrior are low speed devices compatible with the USB2.0 spec, all of them, so you get no faster response (the JW20A10 is actually older than the JW24A8 btw.).

If the latency in a hand-eye feedback loop is too high you usually end up with so called "pilot induced oscillation", which means you are overreacting due to too slow response and then overcompensate due to too slow response again, resulting in oscillation that would drive you off the track (or out of the sky as has happened with quite a few aircraft due to this effect).

Any small amounts of latency are compensated by training in any case (if the latency is consistent), even a real car does not react instantly. You just learn to steer a bit earlier, just the same as you have to get a feel for the dimensions and steering response of your car.
stickMaker

Post by stickMaker »

:lol:
Ok, I think I understand you. One more scenario. A group of online planes take off, they have same plane choice settings, ie fuel loadout, aircraft trim tabs are same, all is same. No turns every virtual plane flies straight like a drag race, level flight no turns. I am in the lead for a time, at some point I begin to be passed by others. What could be a reason that I can not keep up? Afterall, its about data rate, we aint flying real planes. I have a 3 Mb, DSL connect with an 768 Kb/s upload rate. If I get off the line first, I should be able to maintain my lead but I don't. Any thoughts? This is definitely an off topic question, but its hard to find anything surfing the web. I am a layman about this stuff!
TYVM yet again :oops:
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

In that case I would question the simulation model. You should ask the manufacturer of the simulator about this. If they tell you it is your joystick then they are incompetent.
stickMaker

Post by stickMaker »

:shock:
No one has said its the joystick, No one will say anything. I use two flight sims and its the same in both. Were pushin data here, not flying planes. I hoped you might point me in a direction to look. Just trying to understand.
:(
tyvm 4 ur time

I understand its not what this forum is for, you've been very helpful in the past. I'm fumbleing around here.
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

I would recommend to ask this in a flight sim forum, maybe someone else has had that effect.