JW24MOD-A8-16 - Button matrix question

This is the English forum for all topics related to JoyWarrior. Please post in English only

Moderator: Guido Körber

DeeMoNay

JW24MOD-A8-16 - Button matrix question

Post by DeeMoNay »

Hello,

I am very new to USB microcontrollers, and I have been searching in exhaustive earnest for a solution that will meet my simple application. The Joy Warrior USB device may be what it is that I need. However, my electrical skills are limited, but my capacity to learn in fueled by enthusiasm. My questions about the JW24MOD-A8-16 are as follows:

1. Can I simply connect 8 buttons to this unit like its sibling, the JW24MOD-A8-8 without wiring a button matrix, or deos the *-16 model require the buttons to be in a diode matrix?

2. Would someone please be generous to show me precisely how to wire a 4x4 button matrix for this unit, indicating where on the board itself the wires connect? I am in the dark if one set of wires, say the ROW would connect to the COMMON connection while the the other set, the COLUMNs would connect to the other connections of either block K3 or K4 on the board.

Any help is appreciated, and this device, I think, is precisely what I need. These last two questions are the only ones hanging around to clean up.

Derek
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Re: JW24MOD-A8-16 - Button matrix question

Post by Guido Körber »

DeeMoNay wrote:1. Can I simply connect 8 buttons to this unit like its sibling, the JW24MOD-A8-8 without wiring a button matrix, or deos the *-16 model require the buttons to be in a diode matrix?
If that were the case, then it would not make much sense that we offer two different parts?

JW24A8-8 has direct inputs for the buttons
JW24A8-16 has a matrix for the buttons
DeeMoNay wrote:2. Would someone please be generous to show me precisely how to wire a 4x4 button matrix for this unit, indicating where on the board itself the wires connect? I am in the dark if one set of wires, say the ROW would connect to the COMMON connection while the the other set, the COLUMNs would connect to the other connections of either block K3 or K4 on the board.
JoyWarrior data sheet page 14.

The names of the signals are printed on the PCB.
DeeMoNay

Post by DeeMoNay »

Guido Körber wrote:
DeeMoNay wrote:1. Can I simply connect 8 buttons to this unit like its sibling, the JW24MOD-A8-8 without wiring a button matrix, or deos the *-16 model require the buttons to be in a diode matrix?
If that were the case, then it would not make much sense that we offer two different parts?

JW24A8-8 has direct inputs for the buttons
JW24A8-16 has a matrix for the buttons
DeeMoNay wrote:2. Would someone please be generous to show me precisely how to wire a 4x4 button matrix for this unit, indicating where on the board itself the wires connect? I am in the dark if one set of wires, say the ROW would connect to the COMMON connection while the the other set, the COLUMNs would connect to the other connections of either block K3 or K4 on the board.
JoyWarrior data sheet page 14.

The names of the signals are printed on the PCB.
Thanks for the reply, but I am still unclear. Please see this schematic taken from the source you indicated at page 14 of the JW24 doc:

The T-ends that I have circled in green are perplexing to me. I am not an engineer, so I don't have enough knowledge to know where these ends terminate. Do they just terminate on the second pole of the last SPST switch in that line, do they loop around to the ground connector (doubtful), do they get connected to the +5v, or do they loop back around to pins X0-X3 and Y0-Y3?

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

d
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

They are not terminated or connected anywhere, they just end.
DeeMoNay

Post by DeeMoNay »

Guido Körber wrote:They are not terminated or connected anywhere, they just end.
Great! Thanks for the followup and help. All matters are resolved for me. Thanks kindly :)

Derek