IO Warrior w/ Custom Linux Kernel

This is the English forum for all topics related to IO-Warrior. Please post in English only

Moderator: Guido Körber

Tillin9

IO Warrior w/ Custom Linux Kernel

Post by Tillin9 »

Howdy, I'm interested in using an IO Warrior 24 module under Linux. Unfortunately from the SDK it looks like only SuSE is officially supported. I happen to use Debian on most of my Linux machines with custom kernels. Some of these are not i386 and I have the hint the modules provided may not work. While I could simply try to ismod the compiled module for the appropriate kernel range and make the device files, and see...I would feel a lot more confident if somebody could confirm this was all I needed to do, or provide a patch that will add an entry along the lines of "IO Warrior support" to the USB device section of on my menuconfig for when I compile my kernel. Then I could simply select the type of processor and other options like I normally do. I know the source of the module is provided, but can't infer from the SDK alone what would be required to make such a patch myself. I did a google search and ran across some posts saying that the latest 2.6.x kernels have support built in, but there was no apparent option on my 2.6.9 (the latest source I use) menu. Is this true, or am I simply coming across people who added it manually. Sorry for being so long. Hope you guys can clarify.
wayoda

Post by wayoda »

Hello Tillin9,
as long as the Module for the IOWarrior is not included in the Mainstream-Kernel (which it isn't as you already know) there is actually no such thing as an official support for any Distribution.
The binary versions from the SDK will only work for the specifc Distribution for which they were compiled. They will even stop working when you upgrade your Kernel to a more recent version.

So the only way for you to make use of the IOWarrior is to compile the module by yourself. The good news is that it should work on any Distribution and I know at least that it works on i368 and athlon_64 architectures.

I don't have a patch to integrate the sources for the module into the kernel-build-system directly (if anyone else has it Speak Up!), but I can provide you with a Makefile and some short instructions on how to build the module externally. Just send me a mail.

Note on Kernel-Versions
If you want to use the IOWarrior on a machine that runs a kernel prior to 2.6.9, the whole issue gets more complicated, because you have to edit a sourcefile (hid-core) in the kernel itself in order to make the IOWarrior work.
If you are happy using the IOWarrior only on machines that run a kernel>=2.6.9 you would spare the hassle of writing down the instructions (which are currently only located in the german-section of my brain) for this part of the installation.

If you are looking for a module that even works on a 2.4.x kernel, I can't help you at all, because I gave up on this version 2 years ago.

Eberhard
echion

Post by echion »

I've got it working fine in Fedora Core 3's latest kernel....here's the Makefile that I put in the SDK/LinuxSDK/SuSE 9.2 or Kernel V2.6.9 and up/Source directory:

Code: Select all

obj-m += iowarrior.o

all:
        make -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) modules

clean:
        make -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) clean

"make clean" as a user with write access to the source tree (/lib/modules/.../build under Fedora) works fine.
echion

Post by echion »

Unfortunately, this is failing to build on Fedora core 5 now (both with my makefile and the supplied one)...will start a new thread.