IO-Warrior working 24hrs - After power outage all pins go on

This is the English forum for all topics related to IO-Warrior. Please post in English only

Moderator: Guido Körber

Bernardo Hoehl

IO-Warrior working 24hrs - After power outage all pins go on

Post by Bernardo Hoehl »

Hi Folks,

Hi Guido. Long time no see. Wish you all a happy new year!

This is my problem:

I have IO_Warrior working 24 hous a day, on my Macintosh server.

I have a basic setup, using small transistors, a 5VDC current suply behind the optocouplers, and a 24VDC supply after the optocouplers that activate the mains (again optically isolated).

Also am using a smal LCD screen to display small frases as each task is done.

Everything works fine.

Problem:

During weekends I might have a power outage, and my No-Break systems can hold up to four hours.

If the power outage goes longer than 4 hours my Mac shuts down, and when power returns my pins in the "DEAD" Warrior go all on. All my mains equipment go nuts!

Trying to solve this, I have placed a small coil relay just before the supply of 24VDC power to my optocouplers, that control the mains relay, normally on, and hoped that the "DEAD" condition of a IO_Warrior would activate the relay and shut down the 24VDC supply to mains.

But it doesn't happen.

If the IO-Warrior is working and I set the equivalent pin value to 0, it works, although I only supply 5VDC instead of the required 6VDC by the coil relay, I mean it shuts down the 24VDC supply to the mains circuit.

I think the problem lies on the fact that I couldn't find a proper 5VDC coil relay, and a "DEAD" IO-Warrior is not supplying enough tension to the (6VDC) coil relay, as it would supply if "LIVE".

My guess is that this is a basic issue, and someone could point me out to a real simple way of solving my problem.

I know Guido might come here again telling me how dangerous it is to be fidling with mains power, and that I could get myself killed by doing so. But I am most experienced with mains, and have very little knowledge on eletronics, may be a small capacitor or any other simple thing could solve. Please be kind to me.

I thank you all in advance for any help.
Bernardo Hoehl
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

Hi Bernardo,
the easiest solution would be to use the negative logic as it is standard with digital circuits. That means the on-condition is the low level on the pins. All you have to do for this is replacing your (likely NPN) transistors with the complimentary type (PNP) and possibly some more small adaptions to your circuit.