IR Mode problem

This is the English forum for all topics related to IO-Warrior. Please post in English only

Moderator: Guido Körber

rkammela

IR Mode problem

Post by rkammela »

Hi All,
I am trying to test IR mode in IOW-24 and haven't had any luck. I am using TSOP1136 (kit uses TSOP1736). Can i use this or do i need to have 1736? I compared the datasheets and both are identical. Connected it to IOW pin 1 as shown in kit schematic using 4.7uf cap and 100 Ohm resistor.

I tried the sample IR Delphi example and used Universal remote with Philips(and other) codes. Nothing happens in the application.

I don't know Delphi so, decided to write a test program in VB.NET. I enabled IR by writing report id (0c) and enable byte (01) to IOW. Then tried to read report from IOW after pressing remote keys. Nothing was read from IOW.

I thought maybe my IR reciever is not working, so i disabled IR mode and tried reading pins while pressing remote keys. Port 0.0 (pin1) is changing between 0 and 1, which tells me that my reciever is working.

I don't know what to test next, any ideas on what could be the problem.

Thanks
RK
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

Sounds like the basic hardware is OK. Did you try using SimpleHIDwrite to directly access the IO-Warrior?
rkammela

Post by rkammela »

Hi,
Thanks for the quick response. i tried SimpleHIDWrite tool and didn't work. Chose complex interfaces at the top and written 0C 01 to IOW. Write was succesfull but nothing read from IOW after remote click.

I bought two IOW24 chips and tried them both just to make sure, and didn't help. Anything else i should be checking on?

Thanks,
RK
Robert Marquardt

Post by Robert Marquardt »

Is your remote generating RC5 code? The IO-Warrior only understands RC5.
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

Usually this is a strong indication that the remote is not sending RC5 code.
rkammela

Post by rkammela »

As far as i know philips uses RC5 codes and i tried all philips codes for my universal remote. Are there any other remotes i should try?
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

I am not 100% sure since I just browsed the data sheets of the receivers, but it looks like the TSOP1136 support higher data rates. This may be the root of the problem if it has a different processing of the incoming singals.
rkammela

Post by rkammela »

Thanks for checking the datasheets. I will get TSOP1736 and try.

Another related question, I am trying to build a PC based learning remote for Sony(most of my electronics are sony) devices. Thought I use a 40KHz receiver connected to IOWarrior input and read the code for each button. Then feed that data back to 40KHz modulator from IOWarrior when I need to send IR signals from PC.
So I tried connecting TSOP1240 to IOWarrior and read the data in simple IO mode. But I get different data stream every time I read for the same button. I was expecting to get fixed stream of data for a given button I press. The way I am testing is, I press the button then read all the reports and save those reports. I repeat the above steps multiple times and compare the saved reports. They don't match. Am I doing something fundamentally wrong? How did you accomplish this for RC5? Any insight into this is appreciated. If anyone can give me a better way of reading input data stream that would be great.

Thanks
RK
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

No chance to do that. The data transfer is simply too slow to do this. The RC5 function does the decoding in the IO-Warrior.
rkammela

Post by rkammela »

Thanks for the clarification.