STUFF

This is the English forum for all topics related to JoyWarrior. Please post in English only

Moderator: Guido Körber

Post Reply
stickMaker
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:44 pm
Location: NYC

STUFF

Post by stickMaker »

Hello,
Long time. I wanted to know if you can use a rotary hall effect sensor with the A8 module? Was wondering if the voltage range was same.........

Is there a North American distributor of the A 8, A 16 modules? Carol Cummings seems to be no more.

A thought, it sure would be nice if the modules came with wire tails soldered to the boards instead of the current solder points. You prolly sell in large quantities to stick manufacturers, but from my standpoint, home enthusiast, the tails would facilitate use. I did make current format work, but it is a pain working with micro stuff, with your hands. If I could get them with tails, open certain possibilities for business purposes.

ps: my original plane brains from the JW A 8 and 16 modules are still in service. I fly Aces High with my DIY spitfire stick, throttle and peddle

Image
Last edited by stickMaker on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:08 am, edited 6 times in total.
Guido Körber
Site Admin
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:25 pm
Location: Germany/Berlin
Contact:

Re: STUFF

Post by Guido Körber »

The JW24A8-x modules have resistor inputs, not voltage inputs, so they will not work with hall sensors.

Though we are just no waiting for the first production batch of JW24A8L-MOD and JW24A10L-MOD to arrive here, they are at the assembly plant right now anf the test fixture has to be finished. I expect we will have them ready to ship in about 10 days from now.

The modules are not yet listed online, but will be added to our website in the next few days. Basically they are identical with our sample circuit from the data sheet of the JoyWarrior chips.

Carole has retired. For the USA we do now have Saelig as our distributor. They will get stock of the new modules as soon as we have tested and packaged them.

The new modules still have no plugs or wire tails, but you can easily solder connector pins to the boards
stickMaker
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:44 pm
Location: NYC

Re: STUFF

Post by stickMaker »

JW24A8L-MOD and JW24A10L-MOD
is this a new product?
I use the JW A 8 and A 16 modules.

I had asked about the hall effect sensors because pots do wear out on my rig. The center area gets worn and starts getting jumpy as the pot wears down. Also the pots can be jittery, makes targeting harder.Thought maybe the hall effect being magnetic in nature might last longer.

I was saying that you guys should offer a version with tails added. For the home enthusiasts, who do not have ability to solder something so small by hand. I did it, but what a pain.
Guido Körber
Site Admin
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:25 pm
Location: Germany/Berlin
Contact:

Re: STUFF

Post by Guido Körber »

stickMaker wrote:JW24A8L-MOD and JW24A10L-MOD
is this a new product?
I use the JW A 8 and A 16 modules.
Yes, the modules are new. We are currently waiting for the first production batch to come out of manufacturing.
stickMaker wrote:I had asked about the hall effect sensors because pots do wear out on my rig. The center area gets worn and starts getting jumpy as the pot wears down. Also the pots can be jittery, makes targeting harder.Thought maybe the hall effect being magnetic in nature might last longer.
Hall sensors definitely last longer and have much less aging. But they are not compatible with the JW24A8-x, you will have to use the JW24A8L or JW24A10L which will ship soon as modules.
stickMaker wrote:I was saying that you guys should offer a version with tails added. For the home enthusiasts, who do not have ability to solder something so small by hand. I did it, but what a pain.
Adding tails would add a lot of production cost on our end.
stickMaker
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:44 pm
Location: NYC

Re: STUFF

Post by stickMaker »

Cool, I look forward to a new product. Projected eta?

I of course should not tell you your business, but if you are actually making the little pc boards you use, then adding the wire to the solder points before adding the solder points to pcb should not cost you much. Beside you would just pass cost off to buyer anyway. Believe me when I say, its a pain doing it by hand. It was a process for me to work with something that small. I did 4 of them, only screwed the pooch on one of them. Granted the bulk buyers prolly would not want them. But us little guys, us hobbiests would greatly benefit.
I would gladly pay a little extra for the time it would save me working it out. Oh well.
My little plane brain configuration makes it super easy attach/unattached inputs. Instead of everything being buried inside a stick housing, hard to get at, I have all parts readily accessible. I can swap out a pot or button in minutes. Swap out the brain too.

FYI
I am use 36in long wire between parts and brain, works fine.
ty
stickMaker
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:44 pm
Location: NYC

Re: STUFF

Post by stickMaker »

MW24J8-MOD

Guido,
I was perusing the Saelig site. The joystick/mouse hybrid mod. Under description, it says there is a method to disable auto calibration and centering. I understand the wording but what/how does this really work in practice?
One of my plane brains, I put a switch across the testing inputs. With switch closed it alters the centering. Is this the same basic thing on the hybrid mod?
I have to calibrate a lot, previous calibrations do not remain consistant. My return springs do not pull stick exactly back to same spot. I boot computer everyday.

Are the "L" modules available yet?

ty
stickMaker
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:44 pm
Location: NYC

Re: STUFF

Post by stickMaker »

Image
Guido Körber
Site Admin
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:25 pm
Location: Germany/Berlin
Contact:

Re: STUFF

Post by Guido Körber »

stickMaker wrote:Cool, I look forward to a new product. Projected eta?
We will have to modules here in the next few days. Testing has to be performed and then it takes a couple days to get them to Saelig. I would guess about 2 weeks from now.
stickMaker wrote:I of course should not tell you your business, but if you are actually making the little pc boards you use, then adding the wire to the solder points before adding the solder points to pcb should not cost you much. Beside you would just pass cost off to buyer anyway. Believe me when I say, its a pain doing it by hand. It was a process for me to work with something that small. I did 4 of them, only screwed the pooch on one of them. Granted the bulk buyers prolly would not want them. But us little guys, us hobbiests would greatly benefit.
The production process is quite different from that. The modules are made in automated production. Solder paste is printed, parts are placed, and then it goes through a reflow oven. No manual action there except for loading the material and moving the boards between process steps.

I have never before had the request for cables attached to the modules, connectors have been requested sometimes, but they can be added easily.
Guido Körber
Site Admin
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:25 pm
Location: Germany/Berlin
Contact:

Re: STUFF

Post by Guido Körber »

stickMaker wrote:MW24J8-MOD

Guido,
I was perusing the Saelig site. The joystick/mouse hybrid mod. Under description, it says there is a method to disable auto calibration and centering. I understand the wording but what/how does this really work in practice?
One of my plane brains, I put a switch across the testing inputs. With switch closed it alters the centering. Is this the same basic thing on the hybrid mod?
I have to calibrate a lot, previous calibrations do not remain consistant. My return springs do not pull stick exactly back to same spot. I boot computer everyday.
The JW24A8-x and MW24J8 use the axis position at power up as center and assume that the axes reach at least 60% of their total range. If you pull pull up the RAW pin this calibration will be disabled and the raw data will be reported.

Using the RAW mode would ensure that your centering and calibration problems get worse.
stickMaker
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:44 pm
Location: NYC

Re: STUFF

Post by stickMaker »

"I have never before had the request for cables attached to the modules....."

I wonder if this is because the majority of your clients buy in bulk or they bury the module inside their product. Also using mass production techniques.
Me being a home enthusiast, I am not making a tight package. You can see my stick is full scale, all components are readily accessable. You can see the plane brain in pic. I just put tails in and the attached them to bus blocks. Then I just sandwiched the whole thing between plastic blank plates and wrote identification notations on top side. Makes it super easy to work with. The stick you see is not the 1st attempt. As I worked out certain mechanical movement issues, I would switch plane brain to newer version. Makes it super easy to adapt. Small screw driver and 15 minutes and I can swap it out. Since it is a max of 5 volts being used, I never worried about electrical shorts, and it has never occurred.

I see where the baking process you use would negate plastic covered wires.

Have a nice day.
Post Reply