Questions about JoyWarrior 24 A10-16

This is the English forum for all topics related to JoyWarrior. Please post in English only

Moderator: Guido Körber

simmerpc

Questions about JoyWarrior 24 A10-16

Post by simmerpc »

Hi all,

I'm writing here as "ambassador" of a friend (that cannot absolutely speak english/german).
He is trying to build and USB interface based on your JoyWarrior 24 A10-16.
For what he is planning to build the ideal solution is a 4 analogue, 10 bit, axis, but unfortunately he didn't find anything similar in your products.

But, as far as he understands, your JoyWarrior 24 A10-16 chip seems to have inside the possibility to manage 4 A/D converter, even if at the moment limited to 3.
So, if it's really the case, he asks if do you think possible to "enable" the 4th axe, or, eventually, if you plan to produce in the near future a chip with 4 analogue 10 bit axis and 16 buttons.
I'm just asking (I'm absolutely no skilled in electronics :( ), sorry if this questions don't make sense! :oops:
Thank You in advance!
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Re: Questions about JoyWarrior 24 A10-16

Post by Guido Körber »

The chip you are refering to is the JoyWarrior 20 A10-16.

It is not possible to use 4 axes with 10 bits on this chip due to USB protocol limits. The 10 bit axes do need two bytes of transfer data each and the low speed USB devices are limited to 8 bytes per transfer, so either you end up with a joystick with no buttons or limit yourself to three axes.
simmerpc

Post by simmerpc »

Thank You for the fast and clear answer! :)
simmerpc

Post by simmerpc »

Hi Guido,
we have to some more questions:

1) is your JW20A10-16 sold already programmed and ready to use?

2) is the MAX 1249 chip used with you JW a standard one or do we need some programming?

3) is it possible to use a different chip than the MAX1249? If yes is there some particular characteristics we need to take in account or the characteristic to have at least 3 a/d 10 bit channels is enough?
Have you eventually some tips about different ones?

Thank You for your patience and thank in advance for you answer! :)
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

simmerpc wrote:1) is your JW20A10-16 sold already programmed and ready to use?
Yes
simmerpc wrote:2) is the MAX 1249 chip used with you JW a standard one or do we need some programming?
The MAX1249 is a standard A/D converter made by Maxim, there is nothing about it that would be programmable in any way.
simmerpc wrote:3) is it possible to use a different chip than the MAX1249? If yes is there some particular characteristics we need to take in account or the characteristic to have at least 3 a/d 10 bit channels is enough?
Have you eventually some tips about different ones?
There is no replacement for the MAX1249.
simmerpc

Post by simmerpc »

Thank You!

Sorry again if sometime my questions could appear stupid, I'm not an electronic expert.

Bye ! :)