JW24MOD-A8-8..... resolution and usage

This is the English forum for all topics related to JoyWarrior. Please post in English only

Moderator: Guido Körber

jdmartin8

JW24MOD-A8-8..... resolution and usage

Post by jdmartin8 »

Hello..... Am I correct in assuming that the resolution of the JW24MOD-A8-8 is 256 steps? If not, would you please tell me what it is?

My application consists of an H-shifter, which requires 8 buttons. I then have 4 analog axis that consist of steering, gas pedal, brake pedal, and clutch pedal. Would it be feasible to use two JW24MOD-A8-8 and put the shifter and steering on one module, and then the three pedals on the other?

Thanks for any help you can offer...... Do you ship to the USA?

Jim
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Re: JW24MOD-A8-8..... resolution and usage

Post by Guido Körber »

jdmartin8 wrote:Hello..... Am I correct in assuming that the resolution of the JW24MOD-A8-8 is 256 steps? If not, would you please tell me what it is?
8 Bits = 256 values
jdmartin8 wrote:My application consists of an H-shifter, which requires 8 buttons. I then have 4 analog axis that consist of steering, gas pedal, brake pedal, and clutch pedal. Would it be feasible to use two JW24MOD-A8-8 and put the shifter and steering on one module, and then the three pedals on the other?
Yes, perfectly possible. As long as you don't plug the devices in a different configuration the assignment of the axes will be valid.
jdmartin8 wrote:Thanks for any help you can offer...... Do you ship to the USA?
Yes we do and we are just about to supply our US rep with goods. So if you can wait another two weeks you will be able to buy direct in the US. We will update our website with the contact info ASAP.
jdmartin8

Post by jdmartin8 »

Thanks for the reply, Guido !!
Yes, perfectly possible. As long as you don't plug the devices in a different configuration the assignment of the axes will be valid.
Not exactly sure what you mean by this. I was just going to plug each module into a separate USB port on the PC, assuming that the application would recognize all USB controllers.

I have no problem waiting until the US distributor has the parts. Any chance that you can tell me who the US distributor is?

Also, do you offer something that would work out better for my configuration, as mentioned in my first posting? Anything with a higher resolution?

Thanks again...

Jim
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

jdmartin8 wrote:
Not exactly sure what you mean by this. I was just going to plug each module into a separate USB port on the PC, assuming that the application would recognize all USB controllers.
I mean that once you have plugged the devices and told the program which axis to use for which purpose that configuration will work unless you plug the devices into different ports.
jdmartin8 wrote: I have no problem waiting until the US distributor has the parts. Any chance that you can tell me who the US distributor is?
They don't have anything on their site yet, we will take care for this soon.
jdmartin8 wrote:Also, do you offer something that would work out better for my configuration, as mentioned in my first posting? Anything with a higher resolution?
JW20A10-x has higher resolution but is available as a chip only and it also does only 3 axes. Putting everything into one controller will also mean you have a long line connecting some analog parts to the controller, this will allow noise into the system.
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but the subject seems relevant. I'm building a cockpit interface, and I've found that 8-bit analog is insufficient for precision control in the pitch, roll and trim axes. Currently I'm using the analog gameport on my Soundblaster card, which appears to use a 10-bit DAC.

As of March 11, you state that the 20A10-x is only available in chip form.

1: is this still/also the case for the 24A10-16? If so, will it be available in module form any time soon?

2: if it will not be available in module form, what is required in order to use the chip?

3: Can these devices be easily "daisy-chained" so that they appear to be a single USB device, or do they need to be connected as separate devices?

I've seen devices from other companies (CH Products, EPIC) that perform similar functions, but are priced much higher. Your product appears to be just what I'm looking for, both in capability and price.

Thanks!
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

Freefall wrote:Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but the subject seems relevant. I'm building a cockpit interface, and I've found that 8-bit analog is insufficient for precision control in the pitch, roll and trim axes. Currently I'm using the analog gameport on my Soundblaster card, which appears to use a 10-bit DAC.
Game ports use a very simple A/D conversion with timers.
Freefall wrote:As of March 11, you state that the 20A10-x is only available in chip form.

1: is this still/also the case for the 24A10-16? If so, will it be available in module form any time soon?
There is no JW24A10-x
Freefall wrote:2: if it will not be available in module form, what is required in order to use the chip?
For the JW20A10-x you need to male a PCB and you have to know how to make a layout so an A/D converter works properly on it or you are likely to have a couple bits of noise.
Freefall wrote:3: Can these devices be easily "daisy-chained" so that they appear to be a single USB device, or do they need to be connected as separate devices?
USB devices can not be daisy chained. You need to use a hub to connect multiple USB devices.

I've seen devices from other companies (CH Products, EPIC) that perform similar functions, but are priced much higher. Your product appears to be just what I'm looking for, both in capability and price.

Thanks![/quote]