Using a Hall-effect or a reflective sensor as 'forward'

This is the English forum for all topics related to JoyWarrior. Please post in English only

Moderator: Guido Körber

Gentri

Using a Hall-effect or a reflective sensor as 'forward'

Post by Gentri »

Hi,

I don't know electronic, but I have been reading a bit about it recently to make a very particular joystick I intend to use in my experiments. And I see 2 choices : getting my fingers dirty with a PIC, or using your product: a more confortable alternative.
I would need to measure, like in a normal joystick the left-right direction using a pot or 2 switches. Your doc is clear on the subject and that's fine.
Now, I am interested in replacing the pot sensing forward-backward position of a joystick and the throttle by a sensor measuring the speed of a rotating device. The device cannot rotate backward. So the backward function would just never be activated. I want to be able to use a hall effect or a reflective sensor that would measure this rotation speed and translate it to a 'forward' and also measure a 'throttle' as in classic flight simulator or driving devices. Would that be possible using the joywarrior ? If so, what would be the way to proceed ?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Gentri=Genetic Tree
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

If you have something that generates as 0 to 5V output you can use it with the JW20A8 or JW20A10 chips.

Though measuring rotation speed sounds more like a job for a SpinWarrior.
pk_volt

Post by pk_volt »

try doing some research on frequency to voltage converters. I think it is possible

Basically, you can use your hall sensors to generate a frequency of a spining disc. Feed this into the frequency to voltage converter calibrated with a range from 0-5 volts and then just feed it into the analog inputs of the joy worrio circuit.