Response box

This is the English forum for all topics related to IO-Warrior. Please post in English only

Moderator: Guido Körber

code-breaker

Response box

Post by code-breaker »

I am interested in building 4 "response boxes" with the following characteristics. They will have 4 buttons and 4 leds. The buttons must be 'read' from an activex dll, and the leds must be turned on and off from the dll too. I would also need to be able to control 2 of them at the same time from 1 computer (using a hub).

How difficult would this be? Is there a project or some code that already does this?

Thanks.
Robert Marquardt

Post by Robert Marquardt »

Thee is no principal problem in implementing this.
There may be problems with ActiveX or using the iowkit.dll for several devices, but those can be solved.

Please tell how tight your timing needs to be. Accessing two IOWarriors is never fully parallel. Some msecs difference are inevitable.
code-breaker

Post by code-breaker »

Some slop in the timing is OK. We don't do reaction time experiments, so timing is not critical. A few ms here or there is not a problem.

I mentioned activex because we run our experiments from within Matlab, and I assumed activex would be the best way to interface.
Robert Marquardt

AFAIK Matlab also has a DLL plugin API.
code-breaker

Post by code-breaker »

It isn't a plugin api, but more of a method of accessing dll's. So, a dll could be written in C, for example, and could be accessed by Matlab. It can also access activex dll's.

So what, then, would this entail? I would write a dll to access your dll that would access the device?

What about the issue you mentioned about running two devices on the same host?
Robert Marquardt

There is no issue with accessing several IOWarriors.
I am not familiar with the iowkit.dll so i am not sure if it has been simplified for only using one IOWarrior or not.
Anyway the DLL is Open Source so you can have a look yourself. Download the SDK.
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

Using just one IO-Warrior is a bit simpler than using multiples but not much. Basically what you have to do is check how many IO-Warriors are connected, then get the handles for each of them and then pass the corresponding handle each time you want to talk to one of them.

Using just one is simpler in so far as you get the handle of the first IO-Warrior upon calling the open function of the DLL.
code-breaker

Post by code-breaker »

OK. Couple more questions.

First, under section 2.1 (Product selection matrix) of the datasheet, it says that 'keys' are only available with Warrior 40. Does this mean I need the Warrior 40 to get button feedback? How many led/button pairs can I control with an IO-Warrior 24? IO-Warrior 40?

Second, I see some resistors and other things on the pcb of the starter kit. if I buy just the warrior chips (no starter kits), what other parts are required to do what I want? What are parts numbered 31-39 on the warrior 40 starter kit? Jumpers? What are the capacitor and resistors for?

Do you have (or know where I can get) panel mount usb recepticals (not board mount, like on the starter pcb). I won't be using a pre-drilled pcb, so I want to attach the receptacle to the kit box, and just solder leads to the pcb.

Finally, how long does it take/how much does it cost to ship to the States?

Thanks!
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

code-breaker wrote:First, under section 2.1 (Product selection matrix) of the datasheet, it says that 'keys' are only available with Warrior 40. Does this mean I need the Warrior 40 to get button feedback? How many led/button pairs can I control with an IO-Warrior 24? IO-Warrior 40?
The IOW40 does have a key matrix function which allows you to connect 64 keys. This has nothing to do with what you are trying to do. For your purpose direct connected buttons will be best.
code-breaker wrote:Second, I see some resistors and other things on the pcb of the starter kit. if I buy just the warrior chips (no starter kits), what other parts are required to do what I want? What are parts numbered 31-39 on the warrior 40 starter kit? Jumpers? What are the capacitor and resistors for?
If you have to ask these questions I have to strongly advise against using anything but the starter kit. The chips will not work in a flying wire setup and you have to know what you are doing if you go for a bread board or make your own PCB.

J1 to J9 are jumpers. And the capacitors are for buffering the power supply for the chip. If you place them wrong the chip will not work properly. For the resistors you will find the description in the data sheet.
code-breaker wrote:Do you have (or know where I can get) panel mount usb recepticals (not board mount, like on the starter pcb). I won't be using a pre-drilled pcb, so I want to attach the receptacle to the kit box, and just solder leads to the pcb.
I am not aware of such connectors. And: See above.
code-breaker wrote:Finally, how long does it take/how much does it cost to ship to the States?
You can get the starter kits from our US rep, contact: holcomb@codemercs.com

Chips will be available through them too in the near future.
code-breaker

Post by code-breaker »

If you have to ask these questions I have to strongly advise against using anything but the starter kit. The chips will not work in a flying wire setup and you have to know what you are doing if you go for a bread board or make your own PCB.

J1 to J9 are jumpers. And the capacitors are for buffering the power supply for the chip. If you place them wrong the chip will not work properly. For the resistors you will find the description in the data sheet.
I don't plan on just floating a chip inside a kit box, and soldering wires to the leads. I'm a hack, but not that much of a hack. :) I don't have experience with usb or your chips, so I was unsure what the resistors and the capacitor on the starter pcb were for, and I didn't find the information in the datasheet (I found it now).