Joywarrior MOD A8-16 - too many buttons activated!! Help!

This is the English forum for all topics related to JoyWarrior. Please post in English only

Moderator: Guido Körber

Ryan27679

Joywarrior MOD A8-16 - too many buttons activated!! Help!

Post by Ryan27679 »

Hi - I've wired up several microswitches in the manner suggested earlier in the forum, I.E.: x0, Diode (anode, then cathode), switch, y0, then same process for x0-y1, x0-y2, x0-y3, x1-y0, x1-y1, x1-y2, and x1-y3 according to the markings etc on the joywarrior unit. I'm using 4-core + earth cabling, although the earth isnt used, and spade-terminals on the switches. All other connections are soldered including the cable-to-diode connection.

Problem is, that when pressing these switches, some activate 1 button (on Windows control panel utility), some activate 2, the rest ..3.

The cabling is about 5 feet long due to the project I'm working on, but has very thin cores. Continuity has been checked over all of them. I'm also using 3 x 100k pots on the unit if that has any effect.

Diodes were as specified earlier in the forum too.

Is there something wrong with the wiring? I only noticed later that the diode is meant to be on the Y-line according to the data-sheet. Or if its a diode issue - can I double them up to increase effectiveness?
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

Yes, the problem is the wiring. You can simply not use a switch matrix on any singificant cable length, the capacitive load on the wires is causing the problems you see.

The options are to move the JoyWarrior closer to the switches (within about a foot of cable length) or to use the JW24A8-8 if eight switches are sufficient for your application.
Ryan27679

:O

Post by Ryan27679 »

I was afraid of that.

Whats the max length of cabling to the poteniometers? Ad how long can the switch wiring be onthe A8-8?? THanks for your quick reply!
Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

Potentiometer cabling is not very critical a few feet would work if shielded cable is used. Though the longer the cable gets the more jitter you will see.

The direct button inputs are basically not critical at all, capacitive loading is not an issue here.

Though in any case long lines tend to pick up interference, depending on your environment you may have to add suppressor circuits.