Windows 8 Not Compatible (Joystick Mode)

This is the English forum for all topics related to JoyWarrior. Please post in English only

Moderator: Guido Körber

carlgt1

Windows 8 Not Compatible (Joystick Mode)

Post by carlgt1 »

Hi, I work on the Quake-Catcher Network and we have a lot of JoyWarrio F8 & F14's. I recently got a new laptop with Windows 8 (64-bit) and noticed our software doesn't work with it -- in fact even in "Control Panel" I can see the JW24F14 "joystick" but if you go to "Properties" you don't get the usual output show. In stepping through our code in the debugger - the calls to check the codemercs/JW vendor/product ID are fine - but our simple calls to ::joyGetPosEx just return zero's (presumably the same reason Control Panel doesn't show any output).

I'm just curious if anyone has found a workaround (it seems like a M$ problem & not codemercs!)
Christoph Jung

Re: Windows 8 Not Compatible (Joystick Mode)

Post by Christoph Jung »

Can you post a screenshot? We use the german Windows 8 and the titles are names different.

On my computer the devicemanager shows the JoyWarriors.
The gamecontroller panel shows 2 devices (one JoyWarrior24F8 and one F14 are connected) with status "OK".

I have create a simpe application to get the values with JoyGetPosEx() and this give me the right data for the axis and the buttons.
Abteilung: Softwareentwicklung
Folge uns auf Twitter
Follow us on twitter
carlgt1

Post by carlgt1 »

hi, unfortunately I didn't take a screenshot, but the Control Panel properties page was all blank, but showing that there was a JW24F14. Just as a test, I did a "Remove Device" on the "Add printer/Device" page, and forced Windows 8 to search for/reinstall the 24F14. Now it shows up and with "joystick" buttons & axes, and my program now works. I don't know if Windows 8 was patched overnight or what, but it's working now. At least I can tell people to "Remove Device" and have Win8 reinstall.
carlgt1

Post by carlgt1 »

Hmmm, unfortunately the problem came back --- can detect but just get "0" on all axes on a JW24F14 on Windows 8. Seems to be a lot of people on our project hitting this problem (i.e. we get a lot of files with just 0's). Only hitting "Remove Device" in Windows and then reattaching/reinstalling will get it reading normally for a few hours (i.e. until the computer is suspended/sleep/shutdown).

Windows 8 "sees" the JW "joystick" -- but the property pages don't show any axes, buttons, movement etc:

"All 0's" in our software:

Here is a "normal" display (i.e. what I get if I forcible "Remove Device" and the plug it in again for re-detection by Windows 8:

Guido Körber
Site Admin

Post by Guido Körber »

That looks like Windows is trying to read from the wrong interface in the JoyWarrior. JW24Fxx has two interfaces (logical devices), the first is the joystick function, the second is a generic HID to directly access the sensor chip.
Christoph Jung

Post by Christoph Jung »

Wich version (on chip label) are the JoyWarrior24F8 & F14 ?
Folge uns auf Twitter
Follow us on twitter
carlgt1

Post by carlgt1 »

It's the same code we've been running for years.. I get the same results with the codemercs tools (Tilt, Seismograph 1.0 etc). I guess it's just some incompatible way Windows 8 implements the USB & Joystick/HID?

I've looked at our database -- it seems the 24F8 is fine with Windows 8 (i.e.QCN participants still send triggers) - but the 24F14 & Windows 8 do not send triggers (so presumably they get "zero flatline" as above). This happened around the 12th of January - so my guess is Microsoft pushed out an update for Windows 8 that somehow screwed things up for everybody.
Christoph Jung

Post by Christoph Jung »

I have do some tests yesterday with a lot of JoyWarrior24F8 and F14 and Mixed.
My result: Its a Windows 8 issues.

All devices will be installed and found in the "Hardware Manager" of Windows. All devices will be shown in the "Game Control Panel" but i have two devices with the zero output error. The funny thing is that Windows 8 save some of the Joystick IDs an block them. In "Devices and Printers" will no entry found.
jw24issus.jpg
jw24issus.jpg (566.13 KiB) Viewed 16531 times
I will check some other stuff but at the moment nothing I can do to fix it.
Have anybody some ideas?
Folge uns auf Twitter
Follow us on twitter